People all over the world love cats and for a good reason- they’re simply amazing. Although you are probably obsessed with your furry companion, there is still most likely a surprising amount of information you don’t know about your kitty. Here are 44 crazy and fascinating facts about cats!
1. Just like humans can be left handed or right handed, cats can be left pawed or right pawed. Male cats are more commonly left pawed while female cats are more commonly right pawed.
2. Cats have very sensitive hearing, especially to vibrations. Supposedly, cats can hear earthquake vibrations up to 15 minutes before humans can.
3. Cats can make upwards of 100 different sounds including meows, chirps, and trills.
4. Cats don’t meow when communicating to other cats, only to humans.
5. A cat can only sweat through their paws.
6. Cats move their ears in many directions with the help of 32 ear muscles.
7. A group of cats is referred to as a “clowder” and a group of kittens is referred to as a “kindle”.
8. Cats can reach a top speed of around 31 MPH. This is faster than any human on Earth.
9. Cats have over 120,000 hairs per square inch on their body.
10. Cats were first introduced in America in the mid-1700s from Europe as a solution to the rodent and pest problem.
11. A pair of cats and their offspring can produce 420,000 kittens in just 7 years time.
12. Cats have been known to survive falls from major heights. One cat named Andy fell from the 16th floor (200 ft drop) of an apartment building and survived.
13. It is not harmful for cats to drink sea water. Their kidneys can actually filter sea salt which allows them to re-hydrate by drinking it.
14. A cat’s back has 53 vertebrae which allows them to stretch in many different ways, while a human only has 34.
15. Thanks to a cat’s strong back legs, they can jump up to six times the length of their body.
16. Cats are the only mammal that can’t taste sweet things.
17. Cats have a shocking 230 bones in their body while humans only have 206.
18. Cats have a total of 18 toes. Their front paws each have 5 toes and their back paws each have 4 toes.
19. A female cat is able to get pregnant as early as 4 months old!
20. A cat blinking slowly while looking at you is a sign of love and affection.
21. Do your cats like to rub up against everything in your house including your legs? Well they are just claiming their territory. Basically, they own you.
22. When a cat wags their tail, it’s a sign that they’ve had enough of you and you should probably give them some space.
23. Does your cat stick their butt in your face a lot? Don’t worry, it’s a friendly gesture and means that they are comfortable around you.
24. When a cat attacks your ankles it means they are bored and want to play!
25. Many cats are fascinated by the smell of citrus.
26. If you ever notice that your clothing or a stuffed animal is missing, there’s a very good chance your cat stole it. They like to steal and hide objects that remind them of prey.
27. It’s possible to train your kitty to use the toilet instead of a litter box.
28. Cats sleep 70% of their lives.
29. A cat named Stubbs has been the Mayor of an Alaskan town for 15 years.
30. Cats have an extra organ which allows them to “taste the air”. This is why you sometimes see your cat sniffing something with their mouth open.
31. The world’s richest cat is worth over $13 million USD. How did he get so rich you may be asking? Well his owner left him money in his will when he passed away.
32. A cat’s brain is more similar to a human than a dog’s brain is. Scientists say that a cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s brain.
33. The area of the brain that controls emotions is almost exactly the same in both humans and cats.
34. Every cat has a unique nose pattern much like a human’s fingerprint.
35. Although black cats often represent “bad luck” in the United States, they are actually considered good luck in Australia and the United Kingdom.
36. The largest recorded litter of kittens is 19 kittens.
37. Sadly, only 24% of cats at animal shelters are adopted .
38. The reason why cats sleep so much is because they only release a growth hormone when sleeping.
39. The more you talk to your cat, the more likely they will be to talk back with meows and chirps.
40. Cats can purr 26 times per second.
41. A cat purring doesn’t always mean they are happy. Sometimes it can be a sign they are sick or stressed.
42. Cats spend between 30 to 50% of their awake time grooming themselves.
43. Cats sleep between 15-20 hours per day!
44. Your cat probably hates the music you play because of how sensitive their ears are. Interestingly, a man named David Teie worked with animal scientists to produce music using sounds that peak a cat’s interest. Check out his tunes on YouTube and see what your kitty thinks!
There it is! A complete list of 44 interesting cat facts you probably didn’t know. Unless you’re a cat genius I’m guessing you learned a thing or two about this awesome household pet.
Are you as crazy about cats as we are? If so, you need to get your hands on a cat backpack carrier. Trust me, you won’t regret it!